The Resilience, Rights and Respectful Relationships Curriculum is an evidence-based whole school approach to social and emotional learning, where it develops the personal and social capabilities, including self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and social management.
The RRRR learning materials cover eight topics of Social and Emotional Learning across all levels of primary education:
- Emotional Literacy the aim of this topic is to help students develop the ability to be aware of, understand, and use information about the emotional states of themselves and others with competence.
- Personal Strengths builds on the importance of building and using a strengths vocabulary, and identifies the ways in which teachers can use the lesson tools to equip them in their efforts to give positive formative feedback on relational matters.
- Positive Coping and Stress Management are closely related and the learning activities provide opportunities for children to identify and discuss the value of different types of coping strategies.
- Problem-Solving activities introduces students to a range of problem-solving skills, through applied learning tasks, so that they are able to cope with personal, social and ethical dilemmas.
- Help Seeking activities in this topic area are designed to help students discuss the importance of seeking help and providing peer support when dealing with problems that are too big to solve alone.
- Gender and Identity within this topic, promote respect and an appreciation for diversity and difference. It assists students to challenge stereotypes and critique the influence of gender norms on attitudes and behaviour. They learn about key issues relating to human rights and gender identity, and focus on the importance of respect within relationships.
- Positive Gender Relations activities focus on the development of self-care, peer support and help-seeking skills that can be applied in response to situations involving gender-based violence within family, peer, community or online relationships.
The Respectful Relationships curriculum has strong links to many other areas of the curriculum including English, Ethical Capabilities and Health and Physical Education.